ApplianceGeneral Electric Refrigerator
Level of DifficultyReally easy
Time to do repairLess than 15 mins
Age of Appliance1 - 4 years
Determined that the defrost heater was bad (didn't test the thermostat or sensor) and attempted to replace it first.
Got the part in one day (super fast shipping).
1) Removed back panel on the inside of the freezer compartment using a nut driver.
2) Removed the ground wire clip from the metal panel
3) Used a screw driver to remove the two philips head screws that hold the heater assembly in place.
4) carefully pulled off the wires attached to the assembly.
5) attached the wires to the new heater
6)attached the new heater and screwed the new heater in place
7) attached the inside panel
8) fridge is now working great.