Lawn Equipment Parts
A Do-It-Yourself Basic PC Repair Resource Guide
Basic computer maintenance and repair can be done easily at home. Some common problems are random error messages, computer being too slow, blue screen, frozen screen, and automatic rebooting. It’s a common misconception that repairing a computer requires a lot of expertise. In actuality, any common person can service simple computer problems.
There are numerous sites on the Internet that provide support for computers repairs. These sites contain step-by-step detailed instructions so it’s not hard to repair some of the more complicated problems. For any problem, just use a search engine and type in the problem. After that, you will learn the severity of the computer problem and determine if it can be repaired easily.
The obvious benefit of repairing the PC is the cost advantage. You save the amount you pay to service person and also get any parts or software to be replaced at a lower rate. You can save hundreds of dollars by fixing the problem on your own. Another advantage is the time taken to get the PC up and running. Service personnel can take their own sweet time to come and repair it. Even service centers may take a couple of days to service the system while you can get it done in matter of hours!
One common problem is when a blue screen appears and the PC does not work at all. In this case, you will have to restart the computer as there is no other option. This is called a STOP error and it can be fixed by using the appropriate STOP code. These codes can be found online quite easily. Depending on the error, the user can choose the best one and resolve the problem. By learning how to solve these basic PC problems, the user can avoid bigger and more difficult problems down the line.
Check the computer and identify the problem. In some instances, all it takes is to restart the computer. If this does not work, check the antivirus and spyware software to see if they are updated. Restart the computer in safe mode and type the F8 key which displays the boot screen. Run virus scans to check for virus issues. If the screen does not appear, you may need to call in a professional. A scan disk or defrag check can also be done to check for errors and mostly these steps would solve the problem on your PC.
Most of the common computer problems are a result of poor maintenance but most people can repair their computer by themselves even if they are not too tech savvy. A logical person with ability to follow instructions can repair a computer. If you are still not sure, it’s best to seek professional help.
For more information on basic PC repair, check out these resources.
- Troubleshooting Tips: Offers a list of links to help users troubleshoot their computer.
- PC Troubleshooting Manual: The page provides tips on computer troubleshooting and repair.
- Dead Computer: Learn how to get it working again.
- Maintenance & Repair: A tutorial that offers basic computer maintenance and repair.
- Slow Computer: Step-by-step instructions on how to speed up the computer.
- Upgrade Hard Drive: The site provides a step-by-step tutorial on how to upgrade a MacBook hard drive.
- No Sound in Windows: This tutorial shows how to solve sound problems in Windows.
- Replacing Sound Card: The site offers a detailed tutorial on changing a sound card.
- Bad Memory: The guide shows how to diagnose bad memory on the PC.
- Basic Diagnosis: The page provides instructions on diagnosing a computer.
- 5 Questions: Essential questions to ask to find out what’s wrong with the computer.
- Computer Maintenance & Repair: A full tutorial to help users solve simple computer problems.
- Maintenance Checklist: Use this checklist to find out if everything’s working well.
- Making Computers Run Better: The page offers some advice on how to make the computer run better.
- Improve Speed: A detailed tutorial on speeding up the PC.
- Basic Computer Tutorial: Learn about some of the basic concepts of computing.
- Maintenance Procedures: Follow these procedures to maintain your computer.
- Maintenance Tips: The page provides 10 essential tips to a healthy computer.
- Preventive Maintenance: A collection of tutorials to help maintain a working PC.
- Recommended Procedures: Learn these maintenance procedures to prevent computer problems.
- Routine Maintenance: The site offers some routine maintenance tips to keep the PC healthy.
- Improve Performance: Follow these steps to get the most out of the PC.
- Better PC Performance: The page offers five ways to improve a computer’s performance.
- Basic Computer Terminology: A place to find descriptions on many computer terms.
- Computer Basics: The University of Chicago offers a list of basic computer terms.
- The Journey Inside: Intel presents a series of 35 online lessons for you to learn about computers.
- Geek Squad: The site offers a variety of PC repair services.
- Boston Computing Network: Provides computer repair services for Apple Macintosh, laptops, networking services, and more.
- On-Site PC Services: The site offers all types of computer repair services for residential as well as commercial purposes.
- Computer Repair Price List: The page offers information on the cost of PC repairs.