Removing and replacing a water filter - center ceiling location
Filters situated in the center ceiling of the refrigerator compartment of Maytag-built side-by-side refrigerators are relatively simple to replace. Follow these steps:
- Turn the filter a quarter turn to the left, in a counter-clockwise motion. The 'unlocked' symbol on the filter will be lined up with the indicator line that is molded into the refrigerator just above the filter. Allow the ears of the cartridge to disengage from the filter holder.
- Gently pull down on the filter, being careful to not spill any water still in the filter. Discard the used filter.
- Remove the new filter from its packaging. Remove and discard the red plastic cap found on the top of the new filter.
- Apply the appropriate month sticker to the filter to remind your self to remove and replace the filter in six months' time.
- Insert the new filter into the filter opening. Line the 'unlock' symbol on the filter up with the indicator line that is molded into the refrigerator above the filter. Turn the filter a quarter turn to the right, in a clockwise motion. You will be able to feel the filter stop when it is all the way in, and the 'locked' symbol on the filter will now be lined up with the indicator line above the filter.
- Close the refrigerator door and dispense several glasses of water through the water dispenser in the door in order to purge the new filter of any impurities. Open the refrigerator door again and check for leaks. If you find a leak, remove and replace the new filter again.
- Finally, reset the 'change filter' indicator light, if your refrigerator has one, at the front of your refrigerator. The procedure for resetting the change filter indicator light can vary from fridge to fridge. Typically, the indicator light can be reset by holding down on the 'lock' button and the 'water' button simultaneously for three seconds. Sometimes, it is the 'lock' and the 'light' button you need to press down on simultaneously for three seconds in order to reset the filter indicator light.
Note: Replacing this type of filter is a quick process - there is no need to unplug your refrigerator when replacing it. Also, this filter should be replaced every six months.