Removing and replacing a water filter - water supply line location
Replacing the filter situated in the water supply line of a GE-built refrigerator is a relatively straightforward process. Follow these steps :
- Make sure you have a bucket and a towel handy. You will need these to catch any water leaks and wipe up any spills.
- Disconnect the filter at its inlet side first, and then at the outlet side. The water source will automatically shut off, but there still may be some water in the filter that could spill.
- Flush out the new filter by connecting the water supply line to the replacement filter's inlet side. Allow water to flow from the water supply, flushing the filter of fine carbon particles. Allow flushing to continue for approximately five minutes, or until about two to three gallons of water have been poured through the filter.
- Stop the flushing process by disconnecting the supply line at the inlet side of the filter.
- Connect the filter again to the water supply line, but this time, connect it at the filter's outlet first. Then you can reconnect the filter at the inlet.
Note: It is a good idea to write the date on the filter and to make note of the replacement on a calendar in order to remind yourself to replace your filter again in six months' time.