54 of 54 people found this instruction helpful
Level of DifficultyEasy
Time to do repair:30 - 60 mins
ToolsNutdriver, Screw drivers
CustomerSteve from Castro Valley CA
Some small spice bottles fell out of the cabinet above the stove and one of them cracked the glass top. The model number of the range was underneath, on the cross member between the right front and rear legs. Took a while to find that.
Replacing the top was relatively easy. Three screws on the left side and three on the right side, two in the back. Three wire harnesses to disconnect and reconnect, but they snapped apart easily and could only connect back one way, so no worries. Each of the four burners was attached to the underneath side of the stove top, held in place with two screws, so it was simple to transfer them from the old top to the new one. I paid attention to "center" each of them within the circular openings in the metal framework underneath the stove top.
When I say screws, they were not philips or slotted, they were actually 1/4 inch hex head lag screws, so you need a hex driver or 1/4 inch socket.
Moving the appliance out of its slot in the counter was the challenging part. It was screwed to the floor with two long screws, one right through the model number label, which fortunately I could still read. The downdraft fan motor was screwed to the floor underneath the range. I hoped not to to move it or disconnect its flexible venting and luckily I didn't have to. I pulled the stove out only five or six inches, and then I lifted it upwards with the prybar and slid a few small 2x4 blocks underneath, raising it just enough to get to the screws that held on the top.
After installing the top, I removed the blocks to lower the stove back down, slid it back into the opening, and put the two long screws back into the floor to hold it in place. Some stoves might not be screwed to the floor. Mine was only because it barely covers the opening in the counter and if it got knocked around even a little bit, it would expose the opening and maybe even risk chipping or cracking the glass top against the ceramic tiles of the counter top.
Took maybe 45 minutes from start to finish. I worked slowly and carefully to avoid damaging the new top, especially while putting the stove back into place.