31 of 44 people found this instruction helpful
Level of Difficulty: A Bit Difficult
Time to do repair: More than 2 hours
Tools: Nutdriver, Pliers, Screw drivers
Customer: Michael from Weatogue, CT
No spark at one burner
Other writers have claimed that this is a "really easy" job. They apparently had one or more of: 1. Less used appliance. 2. Never spilled anything on the cooktop 3. Much better luck. In my case, the apparently faulty igniter absolutely would not pull out. I removed it by removing the burner retaining screws and prying under the burner casting. Having done that, I cleaned the igniter and tested it again. None of the igniters worked, and I could hear arcing under the cooktop, indicating one or more of the igniter HV wires had somehow grounded. After a fruitless search for instructions on raising the cooktop, I stumbled upon an envelope glued to the back of the range that told me to remove all four burners and igniters and to release the cooktop by inserting a thin screwdriver under the front edge about 3" from each end to release the spring clips. Several of the igniters were cemented in place with caramelized sugar and required some pretty vigorous prying to dislodge. If I had this to do again on a range that had been ridden hard, I wouldproactively order a full set of gaskets (they're fragile), the HV harness (even if it doesn't leak as mine did, the igniter connectors degrade from heat exposure), a set of electrode mounting clips (none of them were much use either), and enough igniters to replace any that don't work plus at least one. I pried out the recalcitrant igniters; in retrospect I should have crushed them because of the severe risk imposed by prying of breaking either a burner casting or the cooktop -- either of which are far more expensive than another igniter.
10 of 15 people found this instruction helpful
Level of Difficulty: Really Easy
Time to do repair: 1- 2 hours
Customer: frank from cathedral city, CA
Igniter wasn't lighting burner
Repair to range went real well, Lifted range from
counter. Removed eight screws that secure burner
assembly. Lifted burners from it's position, and
removed igniters. Installed heat srink at burner
connections so as to ensure high voltage would
have no leaks. Removed insulation, and installed
spark module.. Reassembled unit, placed in
counter cut out, put 110 volt cord into outlet.
Tested all burners, everything worked great..
The repair took about hour and 15 minutes.
Have fun and be careful...... THE END