1 of 1 people found this instruction helpful
Level of DifficultyA Bit Difficult
Time to do repair:30 - 60 mins
CustomerRichard from Arroyo grande CA
Cracked glass, light always stays on
Problem 1: cracked outer glass
1. Remove the outer glass assembly using the four screws along the top and lifting out/up, be very careful it doesn't fall off and break on the floor. Hold the handle while removing the last screw, it can fall easily.
2. Remove the handle using the 2 long screws on the back side which feed through 2 small metal plates that were previously holding the door onto the main cavity.
(3) If there is broken glass, it helps to remove the metal ledge the glass was on using the screws underneath and clean out all broken glass fragments, to do this you may have to remove the vent panel below it to get screwdriver access.
4. Assembling the new glass panel is the same steps backwards, should be obvious.
Problem 2: Light always stays on
1. Remove the door switch panel on the left side of the microwave, 1 screw.
2. Remove the right access panel on the right side of the microwave, this is large and has many screws, and a couple also need to be removed on top.
** Don't touch any wires when doing all this, and make sure you are grounded and don't produce an electrostatic shock. **
3. Manually toggle the door latch catchers on either side (just the plastic, don't touch any wires), at the same time, and see if the light turns off. If it does, the door latches might not be putting enough pressure, they may be cracked or need to be replaced.
4. Sometimes the switches get dislodged, for example if someone slammed the microwave shut. Try nudging the switch, or one of the connectors, slightly towards the door side, or tapping it from behind with a screwdriver. If it was loose you might get an audible click when it goes back into place.
Note: if the microwave light always stays on, it eventually might shut off after a long time. Power cycle the microwave before doing the tests above, so the light is on when you toggle the door latch switches.