13 of 14 people found this instruction helpful
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Time to do repair: More than 2 hours
Tools: Nutdriver, Screw drivers, Socket set, Wrench (Adjustable)
Customer: John from Pittsburgh, PA
Motor wouldn't start intermittently. Exhaust fan seal and gas valve wire harness were damaged by lint fire.
1. Unplugged the dryer and turned off the gas. Removed front panel and lower access panel to get at to internals.
2. Removed two screws and rotated cabinet top up out of the way.
3. Removed lint filter, air duct and damaged blower (exhaust fan) housing seal.
4. Released tension on the belt. Removed front bulkhead and drum.
5. Removed exhaust fan housing cover and unscrewed the exhaust fan impeller from the motor threaded shaft.
6. Removed the exhaust fan housing from the motor mount.
7. Removed the motor mounting clamps, removed the motor frame ground, unplugged the wiring harness from the motor and removed the motor assembly.
8. Vacuumed out all lint. Lubricated the idler pulley and both cylinder (drum) rollers.
9. Installed replacement motor assembly in the motor mount and secured with two mounting clamps. Plugged the wiring harness connector into the motor. I had to fabricate a longer motor frame ground (#12 AWG and two crimp ring lugs) because the ground connection point on the new motor was different than on the original motor.
10. Reinstalled the exhaust fan housing on the motor mount, threaded the exhaust fan inpeller onto the motor threaded shaft and reinstalled the exhaust fan housing cover.
11. Removed the original gas valve wiring harness and installed the replacement harness. The original harness had some melted insulation.
12. Reinstalled the cylinder (drum) and the front bulkhead. Re-tensioned the belt using the spring loaded idler pulley.
13. Reinstalled the new felt seal, air duct and lint screen.
14. Rotated the cabinet top into position and secured it with two screws.
15. Reinstalled the front panel and lower access panel. I reversed the swing of the door, while I was at it.
16. Plugged the dryer in, turned on the gas and fired it up. IT WORKS PERFECTLY. Clothes dry in record time because ot the new seal. Repairs cost less than $150.
Note: My wife is somewhat disappointed because privately she was hoping for an excuse to buy one of those new dryers with the "Steam Cycle".