2 of 3 people found this instruction helpful
Level of DifficultyEasy
Time to do repair:30 - 60 mins
ToolsScrew drivers, Socket set
CustomerMatthew from Great Falls VA
Washing machine stopped after filling with water
I didn't know it was a timer problem, so had called a repair firm. He diagnosed the problem quickly, then said it would 2 weeks to get a part, and then $140 to install it. His part cost was $150.
I asked him to leave it disassembled and looked at buying a new washer. After seeing they cost approximately $1000 I figured it was worth the risk to try to make the repair myself.
The top of the control handle popped off easily with a screwdriver, and the little metal clip came off with a screwdriver to pry it off. I gently removed the other control plastic pieces to ensure the spring did not go flying.
The old timer came off with the use of a socket though a screwdriver woudl have worked, I was worried about stripping the screws.
The new timer came within 5 days, including a weekend, faster than the service company supposedly could get it.
The timer had one part that needed to be inserted into a gear, and the metal clips needed to be bent down a bit to keep it inserted. I had the old timer to look at, this took 2 minutes to figure out, and 15 seconds to accomplish.
I attached the ground wire and then placed the timer where it goes and started to put the screws back in. I removed it again and started the screws on a flat service to get the threading started properly, removed the screws and then attached it easily to the washer.
Putting all the other small parts back only took a couple minutes.
I had not watched the repair person remove the back plate, so figuring out where the screws went took some time as there were 14 holes and 7 screws. If I had taken the back off it would have been trivial.
I plugged it back in and it has run fine for over 20 loads since I replaced the part last week.
I would make sure you mark where the screws go, and keep the old timer until the new one is working. I would also look to see where the ground wire goes before removing the old one.
A cup of coffee, a couple tools, and you are set within 45 minutes of the new part arriving. I also took advantage of moving the machine to clean up around the back and underneath, a little time and a lot of dirt.