De-humidifier would not shut off....bucket overflowed
- Customer: Harvey from Bridgeton, NJ
- Difficulty: Easy
- Time to Complete: 30 - 60 mins
- Tools Required: Pliers, Screw drivers, Wrench set
- 4 of 4 people found this instruction helpful
I knew it was the microswitch. It's internal spring was shot. Getting to it was not a picnic. Remove knobs up top (as well as red plastic dooley that reflects the light telling you the "bucket is full". Remove cover (screws)...a bunch of them. I put down newspapers on my ping pong table so I could easily turn the thing as I was taking it apart. Disconnect (slide off) the three wires that go to the microswich. No need to mark them. All 3 slide off at once. There's a Phillips screw that connects the microswitch assembly (red button) to the microswitch itself. No nut....just the machine type screw. When you remove it, the microswitch swings away from the assembly, and you can remove it. If your problem is just the microswitch, merely put the new one in (unscrew the new one from the new assembly) in the same spot as the old one.
If you insist on replacing the whole assembly, which really isn't necessary, do the following so you can access the back of the red button. Remember, the assembly is still locked to the machine itself, compliments of a standard 1/2 inch nut on the back of the machine where the bucket usually is. Fear not! The BACK of the button going through the machine sits inside the assembly because of two "fingers". Squeeze them together with needlenose pliers and the button will come out on the other side (the back of the machine). Now you can unscrew the 1/2 inch nut from the assembly (back of the machine) and take out the assembly from the "wires" side. Remember: GE sells the whole thing to you...microswitch + assembly. You have a choice. Leave the darn button where it is.....take the new part and unscrew the Phillips screw. take the microswitch ONLY and put it back where the old microswitch was and pick one Phillips screw and attach the microswitch to the assembly ... or ... replace the whole thing. Had I known in advance, I'd have just replaced the microswitch itself. Much easier. Obviously, use care in replacing the cover over the machine. You don't really want to hear freon spraying all over the place because you got frustrated. Bottom Line: I spent $22.48 to repair a machine that sells for over two hundred bucks.