An Educator's Guide to Food Safety Material
Teaching food safety to our students can help eliminate toxins waiting to attack and weaken our immune systems. Bacteria hides in raw meats, cutting boards, counter tops, sponges and many other household surfaces. Cross-contamination can occur easily, resulting in bacterium-riddled food that can cause illness. Fortunately, there are several techniques that one can use to protect themselves through food safety.
Natural bacteria and toxins are not the only concern when it comes to the importance of food safety. Technological changes, such as the use of pesticides and bioterrorism, result in more hazards to our health. Pesticides can stay in our bodies for years, even after washing, and thrive in our environment while traveling miles by water, dust and wind. Food-borne pathogens can taint the foods that we consume before it even hits our kitchens or Cooktop Parts.
It’s essential to maintain food safety during every aspect before consumption. This includes the washing, preparation and cooking of foods. Cooking foods at the proper temperatures, keeping hot foods hot and cold foods cold, help to keep bacteria at bay. Avoid cross-contamination by washing equipment and your hands in hot soapy water before using. Here you will find resources for educators to introduce food safety into their curriculum.
Food Safety Lesson Plans
Food Safety Web Quests
Food Safety Activities
Food Safety Media Resources
- Food Safety Streaming Videos: Learn the importance of practicing food safety, washing your hands and keeping yourself safe from food borne illnesses.
- Food Safety Music: Here you will find music tracks for general food safety, microbial, health and nutrition and more.
- Videos and Podcasts: Learn about food safety through Federal government agency videos and podcasts.
- Food Safety Videos: List of food safety videos concerning various aspects of safety, such as bird flu, farming and McDonalds.
- Temperature, Cleaning & Health: Here you will find three videos concerning time & temperature, cleaning & sanitizing and health & hygiene.
- Food Safety Basics: Watch food safety videos and learn how to tell when different types of food go bad.
- GM Food Safety Videos: Choose a food safety video from the list about genetically engineered foods.
- Chinese Food Safety: Watch videos, animations and play songs about the importance of food safety when eating out at Chinese restaurants.
- CNN Food Safety News: List of new stories about food safety problems around the world and at popular restaurants.
- Food Facts and Videos: Read through fun food safety facts, such as “how to pack a safer lunch” and watch videos about food labeling and more.