ApplianceGeneral Electric Trash Compactor
Level of DifficultyEasy
Time to do repair30 - 60 mins
Age of Appliance5 - 10 years
After removing the trash bin assembly, I removed the two screws securing the main compactor body to the cabinet, and then rolled it out and disconnected the power cord. I laid it on the floor on it's face on a piece of carpet so as not to damage the flooring. I removed the three screws that secure the motor axcess cover, and then the screws on each side of the motor box to remove it. I next removed the screws securing the chain drive cover on the bottom and removed it. I unplugged the two electrical connectors for the motor, and then removed the "C" clip that secures the drive gear on to the motor, then slid the gear off the shaft. After removing the four nuts securing the motor to the base plate, I removed the old motor and installed the new one, leaving the nuts loose. The instructions tell you to be sure to use the new gear that came with the replacement motor as the new motor has more torque. I slid the new gear onto the motor shaft and re installed the clip. I used a piece of paper between the gears to set the proper spacing as per the instructions, and then tightened the mounting nuts. The old motor has one three connector plug and a single black wire that connects directly to the centrifugal switch with a female spade connector, while the new motor has two plugs, one for the three wire connector and one for the black wire. The male spade on the new plug was bigger then the one that I removed the black wire from on the old switch connection, so I had to remove the female connector and replace it with one that would fit. After re installing the chain cover and motor box, I stood the compactor back up, put the trash bin back in and cycled it one time to make sure it was working properly, then put the motor cover back on and re installed it back in the cabinet. As several other posters noted, the problem was the centrifugal switch, not the motor. The new motor is not only more powerful but also has a re designed switch that looks more robust and should last a lot longer.