ApplianceGeneral Electric Dishwasher
Level of DifficultyA Bit Difficult
Time to do repair1- 2 hours
Age of Appliance5 - 10 years
First, I wanted to insure that the drain inside the dishwasher itself was not clogged. So, I removed the lower rack, the lower spray arm, then the fine particle filter, and finally the screen over the drain. I used a small wet-dry shop vacuum to remove as much of the water as possible. Once the water was removed, I could feel that the drain was clogged with all sorts of debris. I could feel that the soft food impeller was wrapped with hair (somehow from our cat?) and other nasty stuff. I spent approximately 15 minutes cleaning the drain and the impeller. I re-installed all the components and started the wash cycle. After a minute or so, I pressed the "start" button to "cancel and drain". I could hear the drain pump come on - but no water drained from the base of the dishwasher. So while the drain and impeller needed cleaning - it was not the issue preventing the water from draining out of the tub. So, I consulted the PartSelect trouble shooting guide and read that more than likely - that the check valve flapper was the problem. So, I ordered the part and had it shipped. Once it I arrived, it used the shop vacuum to remove all the water from the base of the dishwasher. I turned off the AC power at the circuit breaker panel and shut the water off (to the dishwasher) as well. Then I had to disconnect the 3/8" diameter copper tubing feeding the inlet to the dishwasher. Also, disconnected the drain hose from the disposal. Having old bathroom towels on hand is a very good idea. There was not enough slack in the AC power line - so I did disconnect it from the dishwasher. Once these three connections were removed, I slid the dishwasher out of its space and into the center of the kitchen floor. At this point, I had a large moving blanket and placed the dishwasher on it. I then switched on the PartSelect video and watched how the check valve flapper was removed. I removed the two electrical connections (and its a good idea to mark the white receptacle with "wht" and "red/wht" as to remove any confusion when reconnecting. Then removed the two mounting screws and then the clamp. When I accessed the check valve - it did have some debris - but otherwise it didn't looked damaged. So at this point I really began to wonder if this will really solve the issue. But I continued on - I replaced the valve and then began to re-assemble the dishwasher. I re-installed the dishwasher and re-conencted the AC power line, the copper tubing inlet supply, and then the drain hose. I turned the AC power and then the water. I ran a cycle and then hot "start" to "cancel and drain". The water in the base of the dishwasher emptied immediately! So it was the check valve flapper after all.