ApplianceGeneral Electric Microwave
Level of DifficultyEasy
Time to do repair15 - 30 mins
Age of Appliance5 - 10 years
01. Remove vent cover above door and lift door out of the two hinge pin holes.
02. Lay door face down on towel and insert putty knife between choke cover and frame. Pry gently inward (towards center of door), working all the way around choke cover until it pops out.
03. Remove screws securing door handle to frame and remove door handle.
04. Disconnect main door assembly from frame by gently prying (outward, using putty knife if needed) all clips securing main door assembly to frame.
05. Remove outer glass from frame.
06. Analyze new frame for excess plastic trim (leftover from molding process), especially under and around all slots that will hold outer glass, and remove excess trim with utility knife.
07. Slide outer glass under slots at the top of the frame first. Push glass under slots as far as you can by hand.
08. This is the most difficult step: gently pry (outward, using your fingers) the tabs on the slots at the bottom of the frame until glass slips under these slots. Take your time and work back and forth, slot by slot.
09. Slide glass (using your fingers) under the slots on the right side of the frame. There are also two smaller slots on the left side of the frame (one at the top and one at the bottom). Make sure glass is seated under these slots as well.
10. Turn frame over and check that outer glass is seated against frame (no significant gaps between glass and frame) all the way around.
11. Insert main door assembly into frame and push down (using your fingers) all the way around main door assembly until all clips have engaged, securing main door assembly to frame.
12. Insert door handle into frame and secure door handle with screws.
13. Insert choke cover into frame and push down (using your fingers) all the way around until choke cover is secured in frame.
14. The top of the frame may look bowed upward in the center, indicating that the outer glass may need to be better seated in the frame. To eliminate any bow at the top, place door on its bottom on a carpeted floor and have someone hold door. Place towel on door, place wood block on towel, and gently tap wood block with rubber mallet until bow was been eliminated.
15. The bottom of the frame may look bowed downward in the center, indicating that the outer glass may need to be better seated in the frame. To eliminate any bow at the bottom, place door on its top on a carpeted floor and have someone hold door. Place towel on door, place wood block on towel, and gently tap wood block with rubber mallet until bow was been eliminated.
16. Align the two hinge pins with the two hinge pin holes on the microwave and put door back on.
17. Install vent cover above door.
18. Microwave some popcorn, grab your beverage of choice, and bask in the savings and satisfaction of doing it yourself! I hope this helped.