ApplianceGeneral Electric Range
Level of DifficultyA Bit Difficult
Time to do repair1- 2 hours
Age of ApplianceMore than 10 years
I first removed the broken element by removing the two hexhead screws on either side of the element bracket. Then I gently pulled the wires through the opening and removed two more screws that attached the wiring to the element. I then compared the new and old elements and found a few differences.
First, the screw holes where the wires connect to the element were tiny in the new element, about a third the size of the holes in the old one. Secondly, the mounting bracket was not as long as the original, and the holes to mount it to the back of the oven are located at the top of the bracket, instead of the sides.
Since this was the only element that I have found, that comes close to the original, I decided to make it work.
I took my drill and a small bit and bored out the screw holes, just enough to get a self taping screw to fit and reconnected the wires.
Now I'm not sure that I would recomment the next step to anyone, but I did this: I held the new bracket against the back of the oven and drilled new holes to match the new bracket, and again used self tapping screws. The reason that I don't encourage this is that the new bracket fits just inside of the old opening, but the insulation cannot be seen as long as the element does not get moved. I then plugged the original bracket holes with the original hex head screws.
It took a little more time and effort than I had expected, but well worth it, after eight months without the use of my oven.