Level of DifficultyEasy
Time to do repair15 - 30 mins
Age of ApplianceMore than 10 years
In previous work, I replaced the rollers, but the noise remained, so I figured it was the Idler that was the problem, it appeared to be worn. The repair is pretty straight forward, open the cabinet, remove the front and remove the belt. Once the belt is removed take the old idler assembly out and put the new one in. Making sure you the entire assembly is inserted properly into the guides. I then put a new belt on as I figured that as long as I had gone this far, might as well replace the belt to prevent future problems and more work. I put the belt on and then put the drum back in, making sure it seated properly on the rollers. The hard part is getting the belt on the idler and drive pulley properly as there was no way to prop the idler all the way back against the spring pressure. However once everything is aligned everything was set properly. Replaced front and closed top. Unfortunately the noise remained, it seems the real cause of the noise was the fan assembly which had self destructed at the hub and was no longer turning at the same speed as the motor shaft. I opened up the fan assembly and removed the fan. I used one of the rollers as a hug for the fan and installed a set screw into the side so that the fan would lock onto the shaft. The roller had the same diameter hole as the motor shaft and all went together perfectly. Problem solved for now. Nothing I read suggested that this could be a problem and I never suspected that it would be as it was pretty much a closed system. I proceeded to order a new fan from Partselect. Incidentally, the new fan hub opening is nowhere near the proper size, I split the fan trying to get it to go on the shaft, that was even after filing some of the material off. The difference is at least 1/16 inch smaller than the shaft diameter.