Level of DifficultyA Bit Difficult
Time to do repairMore than 2 hours
Age of ApplianceMore than 10 years
After doing some reading on the internet, someone had mentioned that the drain hole in the freezer might be clogged. Of course, I did not know where to look exactly. I heard the buzzing sound one day and opened the fridge. I placed my hand right under the area that was concealed and isolated roughly (by touch) where the noise was coming from. I started to pull off the cover where the water filter was and started unscrewing with a nutdriver and screwdriver about 5 to 6 screws until I loosened things enough to get the cover off partially. I felt a part and also found a diagram of the fridge. The part felt hot to the touch. After looking at the diagram, I realized that it was the adaptive defrost timer making the noise. I decided to order the part because it was worth it to try fixing and while everything was open, I figured I'd change all the light bulbs as well. Luckily, I have another fridge in my basement and moved all food to that fridge. I unplugged the troublesome fridge and let it defrost. I also removed all the shelves from the freezer and fridge so they could be cleaned. I did not take any pictures, so it took me a while to put them back when it was time. I also located the evaporator in the freezer section. I had to unscrew the back cover to get to it. I noticed that that area behind the cover was also iced up, so I found the source. Sure enough, the drain plug was clogged and water started to accumulate. I unscrewed the evaporator from the top and sheet metal pan from the bottom and removed the pan. I opened up the bottom rear of the fridge so I could located the drain hose and drip tray it fed into. I noticed the pan was totally dry. I removed the hose from the drain plug and stuck an awl from the bottom of the plug going into the freezer and finally dislodged whatever dust and grime was in there and the water started coming through. I then took a can of compressed air and shot it into the drain plug. I also shot compressed air onto the condenser and fan to clean things up a bit (make it a little easier for the condenser to release its heat). I reinstalled the drain hose and ran some white vinegar from the inside. It flowed nicely into the pan. I dried everything up. I also decided that this was the perfect time to clean the fridge and all of its components on the inside (it is a side by side - so both the freezer and fridge area). This took some time, especially disassembling the drawers. At the end, after replacing all bulbs except the 2 small ones by the control area, I removed the old adaptive defrost timer and it took me a good 15 minutes to line up the new one. The new one is bigger than the old one and also encased. I had a hard time getting the plug on since it was hard to see. I was putting this in while the control section was hanging down at a 35 degree slant. Room was limited. I managed to connect the plug and then had to position the ADT so it would fit in its spot perfectly. Only then was I able to put the screws that hold it there. It needed to sit perfectly in there, which it did. I changed the 2 bulbs and put everything back together. Of course, in the middle of all this, I had a video on your site explaining how to remove the control panel and install the ADT. Pretty funny stuff. Pretty much did it the same way. Getting the cover off is a little difficult because the back left corner gets caught even when you pull down on it. It took me a while to realize where the cover was getting stuck. Nevertheless, I finished the repair and the fridge seems to be working great for now. I am keeping my I on it. I haven't heard any buzzing noises and no ice has built up on the bottom of the freezer yet. In fact, this is the quitest my fridge had been for a long time. Hopefully, it was last a few more years. Knock on wood.