Level of DifficultyEasy
Time to do repair30 - 60 mins
Age of Appliance5 - 10 years
I had to remove the washing machine from the laundry room (our laundry room is pretty small).
I read the do-it-yourself explanation posted by Paul From Glendale CA and followed his instructions.
1. Unplugged the Washer and disconnected the hoses, so I could slide the washer into the kitchen.
2- Unfastened the two screws in the front lower corners of the controls panel and tilted is back. Unfastened the old lid-switch wiring from the control panel.
3. Remove the clips at the two corners under the control panel. I rotated the cover forward to clear it from the back and lifted it off and set it off to the side.
4. While I had the Washer disassembled I vacuumed out all the accumulation of dust, etc.
5. Removed the lid switch and unfastened the ground wire.
6. Installed the new switch and reassembled the Washer.
7. I did not read Paul's reassembly instructions closely enough. The front flange of the cover goes UNDER the steel frame on the washer. I spent 30 minutes trying to get the cover on, then finally figured that out on my own. Once I got the flange under the frame, it took about five minutes to get the cover on, the clips in and the control panel back into positions and reassembled.
The entire process is not particularly difficult. Had I read the "UNDER the frame" part earlier, the entire repair would have taken no more than 45 minutes.
Having another person to help reinstall the cover would be helpful. The cover is not heavy but it is a little awkward to handle and having another person to help line up the back cover, etc. will make the reassembly even easier.