Level of DifficultyEasy
Time to do repair15 - 30 mins
Age of ApplianceMore than 10 years
After looking up the problem on the PartSelect website, which indicated the problem could be with the tumbler (drum) belt, I watched the instructional video, which was very helpful, as the dryer in the video was exactly the same as mine. After removing the power cord from the wall and separating the exhaust vent pipes from the dryer, I followed the instructions for removing the front panel, the front bulkhead, the drum and the old belt, which was worn and somewhat stretched. I then followed the instructions for installing the new belt, but I found it was easier for me to remove the back access panel in order to complete the installation of the belt around the drive pulley and tension pulley wheels as I wanted to see what I was doing as opposed to just "feeling" the belt to ensure a proper installation (e.g., new belt not twisted). Once I removed the drum, and before I put in the new belt, I also took the opportunity to use my shop vacuum (and you really need a shop vac for its power)to remove 25 years of rubber dust from the old belt, house dust, and packed lint from inside the exhaust fan, cabinet, and the vent pipes (and a dead field mouse that had crawled into the dryer through the outside vent pipe and had gotten trapped in the exhaust fan). I also examined the heater tubes to insure no lint was inside that and spun the fan blades by hand to make sure the motor shaft was not worn. Once I was satisfied that the installation of the belt was done properly, I put the drum back on, reinstalled the front bulkhead (checking to make sure the felt gaskets were in place, as recommended in the video) and reattached the front panel. I also took the opportunity to touch up the accumulated minor nicks and scratches ion the cabinet with refrigerator enamel. Now that the new belt is on, the dryer no longer vibrates, and with the dust, lint and mouse removed, dryer is operating much more efficiently. Remember to re-balance the dryer using a carpenter's level to minimize any latent vibration. Note that the actual removal and replacement of the belt took me about 30 minutes, and the rest of the cleaning, reattaching of the vent pipes, and balancing, etc. took about two hours.