Level of DifficultyA Bit Difficult
Time to do repair1- 2 hours
Age of ApplianceMore than 10 years
I started my repair by watching the PartSelect.com videos about idler pulley and support roller replacement so I could become familiar with disassembly and reassembly of the cabinet. Use a vacuum to clean up as you go. You might be surprised by the amount of lint that has collected inside the cabinet. Also, be careful of sharp edges. There are lots of sharp edges and pointed screws that can cut.
1) Remove back - 6 screws
2) Remove dryer vent housing - 2 screws on top, 3 on
bottom - lots of debris here to dump out and vacuum
3) Pop the top open and lean it against the wall
4) Remove front of dryer cabinet - 2 screws and the door
5) Remove the belt
6) Remove the drum and idler pulley
7) Clean up all lint
8) Remove blower fan by putting a large adjustable wrench
on the square lug on the backside of the blower fan.
Put another wrench on the squared off end of the motor
shaft. From the front of the dryer, turn the motor
shaft clockwise to loosen while holding the other
wrench on the blower lug.
9) Pop off motor retainer clips front and back, remove
motor power connector
10) Clean up more lint
11) Install new support rollers
12) Install new motor, put motor clips back on
13) Install new blower fan. With the motor installed, screw
the blower on the shaft until it seats, then put a
wrench on the blower lug to hold it in place. Put
another wrench on the square part of the motor shaft
and, from the front of the dryer, turn the wrench on
the motor shaft COUNTER CLOCKWISE to tighten. I have no
idea about how much torque to apply.
14) Remount the drum, making sure it's riding on the
15) Replace or remount the belt and idler pulley.
16) Carefully line up and then reattach the front of the
cabinet. Reconnect the door switch
17) Check the drum rotation by spinning it round a few
turns before closing up the cabinet.
Make sure the belt and rollers are in their proper
place. Close the top lid.
18) Reinstall the dryer vent and lint filter
19) Put on the back cover