Level of DifficultyEasy
Time to do repair30 - 60 mins
Age of ApplianceMore than 10 years
First, I unplugged the machine. Next, I removed the grey backing off of the control panel of the machine. Still working from the back of the machine, I then removed two screws... one on the back left back corner and one on the right back corner. Next, there are two small tabs on the left and right edges of the front of the control panel where it meets the door area. I slid a flat headed screwdriver into each slot and gently pushed back until the control panel lifted off.
Next, I gently pried off the white cap of the knob that you turn when you select the cycle you want. Underneath, there is a small retaining clip which I removed with a pair of needle nose pliers. This releases a spring underneath that allows you to remove the knob entirely. Once the entire knob apparatus is removed, the timer will be revealed. There are two screws that I removed using a flatheaded screwdriver. These are the only screws holding the timer in place. Once they were removed, I removed the timer via the back of the control panel. I then removed two green wires that are attached by a gold bracket to a prong on the timer. Next, there is a bundle of about twelve wires which are all attached to the timer by a plastic rectangular box. I gently pulled this box off. Now I was free to attach the new timer. I reattached both this box and the green wires to the new timer. I then lined the new timer up the the screw holes on the front of the control panel and reattached the screws. Following the above steps backward, I reattached the knob, the control panel, and then the back grey panel. I plugged it back in and ran it on a mini load through all the cycles to make sure it worked. It worked like a new machine! I pushed it back into its place and I was in business.
I am a 38 year old housewife and I did this completely on my own after being told it would cost $250 to $350 dollars by an appliance repair company. They told me that the part alone would be $125 and it would take 3 to 4 weeks to come in. I found it at PartsSelect for under $80 and it was in stock and shipped the next day! My husband has been chomping at the bit to buy a new frontloader but with the holidays coming up it just wasn't a good time. So, for under $100 and very little labor on my part we can hang on to this machine until a new one is more feasible. Plus, I can't deny I feel very empowered that I was able to fix it myself. I guess all of those years as a kid handing my dad tools as he fixed things (appliances, cars, etc.) paid off! Thanks, Dad. And thanks to PartsSelect. One of the forums here and one of the repair stories gave me the guts to give it a go. Not to mention the return policy in case I got in over my head!