ApplianceGeneral Electric Range
Level of DifficultyReally easy
Time to do repairLess than 15 mins
Age of Appliance5 - 10 years
This repair took much longer than it should have.
When I noticed the oven would not heat in bake mode, I suspected the element was bad. Going on the forum, I found that I needed to ohm out the element to be sure, so from inside the oven, I removed the two screws holding the element into the stove, pulled out the element a bit and removed the screws from each contact, ohmed it out and found no continuity. I ordered a new bake element which arrived in a couple of days.
I installed the new element by connecting the wires back to each terminal end. It still didn't work and not only that, the broil element didn't work now either.
I inquired again on the forum and found that the suspect might be the control module that controls both bake and broil elements. The part was $250.
Not wanting to spend that on a 10 year old stove, I ordered a new stove at Sears that was on sale.
I sent the bake element back and waited for my stove to arrive.
Sears called a few days later that my stove was ready for pickup so in preparation, I pulled my old stove out from the wall and began to disconnect the pigtail to use on the new one. It was then I noticed a wire dangling that seemed to go to one side of the bake element. When I pulled out the bake element initially and disconnected the wires, I didn't notice that one terminal had TWO wires going to it and one had a single wire connected. It was a bit dark inside the stove when I initially took the screw off of each terminal and I never noticed the second wire on the left one. I installed the old bake element, knowing it may not work but just to see if the broil now worked and it did!
So I ordered another bake element and installed it connecting two wires to the left terminal and one to the right terminal, reattached it to the back of the oven and IT WORKS!!
I cancelled my new stove at Sears which saved me about $500. Just a $26.00 part.