Level of DifficultyEasy
Time to do repair1- 2 hours
Age of Appliance5 - 10 years
Okay, so when we put clothes in the dryer, depending on how big of a load, it would make this unbelievable racket! Sometimes, clothes would get caught at the top of the drum and looked like it was burnt. So, after seeing some videos from this site on Youtube, I decided to try to fix it myself. I HATE fixing things and am usually awful at it. However, according to the video, it looked like something I could handle. So, first things first. I took the dryer apart. Starting with popping open the top and then unscrewing the door. There are tons of websites with people telling you how to do it. It's realy simple once you know how to do it. When you do this, you need to make sure you remember what goes where. Write it down if you have to...especially the wire set up. Try not to lose any parts and take your time. You'll notice on the top of the door that there is some felt with some plastic pieces. Those pieces should ALL be intact and not broken. I used the drum glide kit and replaced the felt and plastic pieces. It even comes with adhesive. Do this part first so the glue can dry while you do other stuff. Use clamps or clothes pins to help it stick properly. Okay, so while that was going on, time to pull out the drum. You'll need to disconnect the belt first. On this model, it's a snap. You can access the pulley thingy from the BACK corner of the unit. Just unscrew the little cover and look inside...the belt pulley stuff is right there. Belt is really easy to loosen just by pressing down on the thing that has the spring attached to it. Once it's disconnected, then you can lift the drum UP and slide it out the front. Rememember, UP and out. The first time I tried it, it wouldnt come out...thought something was wrong but nothing was wrong at all. Just need to lift it up high...you'll see. While I had it apart, and I still wasnt sure what broke first, the bearing or the glides, I decided to just replace three things at once and be done with it for a few years. First, the rear drum assembly. You just take out the old and replace with the new. The bearing kit comes with everything you need. There is a little teeny ball that goes with this too...you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it. Best way to get that to stay in place is too grease it up with the stuff that comes in the kit. You'll need another set of hands to mount the bracket to the back of unit only because you can't reach around the whole machine. Okay, so that's done. Next,the belt! Put the belt around the drum just like the old one was...make sure the little notches are touching the drum..not the smooth side of the belt. Once you get it around the drum, push it back in the front and set the bearing on it's "seat." Go back to the back of the unit and attach the belt to the pulley. Again, really easy to get to. At this point the drum will still be lop-sided and you'll think something isn't right. It's fine. It will be lop-sided until you put the door back on that has the new glides. Give it a spin with your hand to make sure all is good.
In the end, I'd say this was pretty easy. Hardest part was really the time it took to learn how to do it. Don't be afraid! Get a helper just to hold up the lid and stuff like that. Makes it way better. Oh, and while you have it ALL apart, CLEAN everything! Especially inside the door where the lint trap (that doesn't trap much) is. Runs great now and I can't believe I did it! Spent about 65.00..saved probably $150.00. Good luck. Parts Select had great prices compared to my local stores and it all got here fast. Good luck!!