Level of DifficultyA Bit Difficult
Time to do repairMore than 2 hours
Age of Appliance5 - 10 years
I looked up the model number of the Tappan oven on the net, found the part on the PartSelect site, ordered it and it arrived within a few days. The disassembly should have required nothing more than a Phillips head screw driver, unfortunately one of the screws was completely frozen and I managed to strip the Phillips head socket.
The screw was in a very awkward position so I first tried using grip pliers on the edge of the screw - this failed, I then tried grinding a flat spot on either side of the screw circumference and using the flats for gripping - it worked but the screw wouldn't move. Finally, I took a hacksaw blade and cut a slot in the head of the screw. I widened the slot using miniature files and finally made the slot wide enough for a large slot blade screwdriver - this worked. After removing that one screw and maneuvering the broken hinge out of the access hole on the stove front (the break in the hinge was such that this took awhile) the rest of the repair went very quickly.
The oven door was such that I could not see all of the hinge and when the part arrived from PartSelect I thought it was the wrong part. I called your parts return number to ask some questions. The lady who took my call was extremely helpful and we first discussed the part ID, then she showed me how to find a picture of the actual part on your site. After looking at the picture and the diagram I suddenly realized the part was correct - it was just that I thought it was supposed to be installed in a different manner. I'm sorry I didn't remember to get her name because she certainly should be commended for he patience and her assistance. Thanks Again.