Level of DifficultyVery Difficult
Time to do repairMore than 2 hours
Age of ApplianceMore than 10 years
I removed the screws holding the bezel, removed the control panel frame, unhooked the four wires from the timer, and removed the timer. I cut the glue holding the circuit board into the frame and removed the circuit board. I unsoldered the faulty encoder switch, dissassembled the switch, determined the correct specifications for the switch, and ordered the nearest equivalent from an electronics supplier. I modified the new encoder to accept the shaft from the old encoder and I re-drilled the circuit board to fit the new encoder. I then soldered and wired the encoder, reversing the wires to correct the direction of rotation. I then reinstalled everything and added the knob purchased from partselect.com. Now it works. Tough repair - not for the faint of heart or those of average skill. But for the record, installing the knob was of course child's play and took only a moment.