Level of DifficultyEasy
Time to do repair30 - 60 mins
Age of ApplianceMore than 10 years
I took the long way around and removed the back with the nutdriver (8mm), unscrewed the lint catcher from the top and back (phillips). From there, I reached around and unscrewed the support brackets (9/16"). Once I confirmed the problem, I ordered the parts. There was really nothing wrong with the belt or pulley, but considering its age, I figured it was easier to replace now while I already had it apart.
Once I received the parts (about 3 days), I removed the front of the dryer by popping the top of the cabinet off, and the kick plate at the bottom with a flat screwdriver. Then, I removed the two screws holding up the door at the bottom, and the two holding it from the inside top. Once the front came off, I removed the idler pulley from the bottom, and the drum fell out. I was left with an empty cabinet with the exception of the motor.
I replaced the tri-rings on the support shafts, which was the most time consuming part of the whole ordeal. Those buggers are tight. I ratcheted the support brackets back on , removed the belt from around the drum and replaced it with the new one. I added the idler pulley back in, placed the drum against the back, and hooked the belt back around the motor. I also replaced the lint seal that goes from the drum to the catcher before putting it all back together.
I wish all machines were as easy as this dryer to repair.