Level of DifficultyA Bit Difficult
Time to do repair1- 2 hours
Age of ApplianceMore than 10 years
I followed the directions in a generic dryer repair manual.
1. unplug the dryer
2. remove two front panel screws located near front-bottom.
3. remove front panel and disconnect the door switch electrical connections
4. remove inner plate (four screws) that supports the front of the tumbler.
5. remove the two screws at the top on either side that holds the sides to the dryer lid
6. remove the tumbler (drum)
7 clean out broken belt and other debris ($30 cash and coins, buttons, toy pieces and gum wrappers)
8. install new belt over drum, reinsert drum and route belt over motor pulley and idler arm. the most difficult part since it has to be done blind and is a long reach under the drum.
9. reassemble front of dryer.
The dryer is missing the light lens cover; that was the cause of all the money and junk inside the dryer. I didn't have a new lens cover, so I used foil tape to cover the opening from both sides. Missing the lens cover also allows air to short circuit the heater, thereby reducing efficiency.
one of the three wires to the door switch snapped off, so I had to improvise a new connection, not a bypass, otherwise the door closed circuit wasn't completed and the motor wouldn't have run.