ApplianceGeneral Electric Refrigerator
Level of DifficultyReally easy
Time to do repair15 - 30 mins
Age of Appliance5 - 10 years
1. Important: First you will need to prepare for water from melted ice. Plug the drain hole in the bottom rear of the freezer. Have plenty of rags near by. A pan or small bucket is helpful.
2. Unplug refrigerator
3. Remove (4) screws (2) w/screwdriver and (2) w/nut driver. You can remove the light cover to get it out of the way but you don't have to.
4. Remove the evaporator cover (The rear wall)
5. Melt and remove any ice build up. Remember those rags?
6. Remove (2) screws from the heater bracket
7. Remove the failed heater. My old heater was a single element. The new heater was a dual element. This made no difference.
8. Disconnect (2) wires.
9. Re-route and reconnect (2) wires. The wires were re-routed because the new heater has both wires on the same side. Not a problem.
10. Install new heater on the bracket (2) screws
11. Replace cover (4) screws
12. Power up the refrigerator