Level of DifficultyDifficult
Time to do repairMore than 2 hours
Age of Appliance5 - 10 years
1. Hose drain: I could not use the new hose drain I bought because the female end to be hooked up to the dishwasher is not bendable enough without breaking the hard plastic casing. You can bend the corrugated hose only so much. I considered adjusting the orientation of male end to accomodate the female end. It was too risky for me. In the end, I abandoned all options and resort to salvaging my old hose by patching the nail-size hole with a combination of caulk, teflon tape and electrical tape. It's holding up for a week now.
2. Impeller: Another leak was under the motor shaft. Days of investigation lead me to believe that I need a new impeller because mine was broken into pieces. Searching for a new impeller was not easy. The part number does not help. I just stumbled upon it by chance after browsing through forums after forums.
Anyway, replacing everything that comes with the impeller kit makes the matter worse. It leaks even more!
Seeing me wasting 5 days already on the dead horse, my wife grows impatient and threaten to buy a new machine or call a pro. This would either hurt my pocket or my ego.
She was out that evening so I sneaked in trying to give it what's left of me. Taking the machine apart and going through every part, I narrow down to motor shaft seal. I compare the new one with my old one and notice that the new one is like 1/8in higher. Compress each by my thumb, I feel that I could not press the new one down as much as I can with the old one.
So i removed the new one and put my old motor shaft seal back. The rest is history.
My mother-in-law was so proud of me. My wife was apparently not. She sounded like "yah right, 6 days on that dead horse...".
Other than saving several hundreds buck, I just taught my self another lesson: Don't quit. Try harder and happy ending would come. For me, it did.