Level of DifficultyA Bit Difficult
Time to do repairMore than 2 hours
Age of Appliance5 - 10 years
I removed the dishwasher to outside the house and examined it for signs of leakage. Found 2, one at the water injector and a second at the bottom right of the front door. In checking the water injector I found that a large roach had crawled in and died which was blocking the inlet into the dishwasher. I cleaned that out. I examined the door and seal but could not find any obvious source for the door leak. I purchased locally a door seal and installed it. I connected the dishwasher up to water and electricity using a grounded plug. I also hooked up a drain hose (be sure to put an elevated loop in it to keep the water from draining before being pumped out). I ran the dishwasher and found water still dripping from inside the front door during the wash cycle only. After unplugging the dishwasher, I removed the door's front decorative panel (2 screws, one on each outside lower edge) and began watching through one of the 1.5" holes punched in the door metal panel. I noted that during the wash cycle only, water was dripping from the area of the soap dispensor release mechanism. I the inner door plastic panel, by removing the seven screws. I also had to remove the dispensor release actuator since I could not pull the 2 wire connectors off without fearing I would break the mounting tabs off. I released the tabs that held in the actuator easily with my fingers freeing the actuator from the inner plastic panel. The only place that I could see an opening was the the release arm and its rubber seal. However the rubber seal was heavily caked with hardened detergent. Feeling that the seal rubber was probably hardened and cracked, I released it. I had to remove the release arm assembly held in with 2 screws. I reassembled the assembly with the new seal in and ran the dishwasher. No leaks. I did find that if I had just pulled the seal and rubbed it between my fingers the dried detergent would break off and the rubber itself was fine. Should have tried that first. I did replace the dispensor door because of crusted detergent on the door seal. I could not get the crusty stuff off without tearing the seal. I used a small thin punch to push the hinge pin (non spring side) from the plastic inner panel to the dispensor door side releasing the hinge and allowing the door to come out. Reinstalled the pins and spring into the new door. After putting the dispensor door in place, I pushed the hinge pin (non spring side) through the door hinge into the inner plastic panel.
I also wanted to improve the cleaning level that had decreased over the years. I removed the uppper pump housing by removing the hand nut on the lower spray bar then the 6 T-20 torx screws. Inside the plastic filter screen. I found that the screen was partially plugged by either minerals or dried detergent. The old one was stuck slightly to the lower pump housing. I tried to poke out the debris out of each of the screen holes but was taking way too long. I did not try chemicals but since I was ordering parts made sense to have a new one shipped in. You have to snap the new screen together and align the edges before inserting it into the lower pump housing. Reassemble the upper pump housing. Be sure to clean the filter spinning arms of debris along with the lower (and upper) spray arms befrore reassembling them. Ran the dishwasher a couple of full cycles to check for leaks and found none.
FYI, the dishwasher will not clean as well if you fill it with cold water and even with the heat element, the cycles take a very long time to run through to allow for heating the water. Once I reinstalled the dishwasher, I notice an improvement in cleaning.