Level of DifficultyEasy
Time to do repair30 - 60 mins
Age of ApplianceMore than 10 years
I first pulled the softener dispenser cap off, then re-moved the inner cap/seal by twisting and pulling (it was a little stubborn, but alternating my grip from side to side while pulling was helpful). Using a 7/16" socket with an extension to reach down inside the mover, I then loosened the agitator mounting bolt. Note the amount of torque needed to "break " the bolt from the threads holding it as you don't want to overtighten it when you replace it. It doesn't require much effort to tighten it., depend-ing on the size of your wrench. I then lifted the agitator up and off its shaft by slipping my fingers under it on opposite sides of its base. Then, I lifted the mover or auger off the agitator and removed the thrust washer, cam and cam dogs. Don't worry; the illustrated instructions which are included with the new parts are quite clear and understandable. Then, I placed the new thrust washer and cam and dogs (a separate instruction sheet shows you how to assemble the cam, dogs and bearing; not difficult). Here's the only complaint I have about all this: the instructions advise you to apply agitator grease to the top surface of the thrust washer, but the grease isn't included in the kit. I used standard plumber's silicone grease which I had on hand. Hopefully, that won't be a problem. There's a part # for the grease shown on the illustration (#350849).
It would be helpful if this information were given when ordering these replacement parts. You then put the auger and cam on the agitator and place the assembly back on the shaft in the wash tub and replace the mounting bolt and tighten it. Remember to not overtighten it. Then you place the inner cap/seal back inside the mover after lubricating the seal with plumber's grease or liquid soap and replace the dispenser cap. The instructions remind you that the mover is to turn only clockwise and, if that's what you have, you are finished. As a precaution, I checked the "play" (and there is some in it) in the mover/auger after assembly then checked it again after the first couple of loads we washed. It seems to be fine.
Please don't let the length of this story alarm or discourage you. I'm trying to include everything which might be helpful to anyone who wants to do this. It really isn't difficult. Incidentally, it probably wasn't necessary to replace the mover/auger in my machine as it looked to be in very good condition, but I thought it wise (at another's suggestion) to replace it in case it might wear the other parts prematurely. I hope this helps somebody out there and that I didn't forget anything. Again, the parts come with very good instructions. Just don't forget the grease!