Level of DifficultyA Bit Difficult
Time to do repairMore than 2 hours
Age of ApplianceMore than 10 years
I've worked in maintenance for almost 4o years, but working on this Roper machine was a lesson in humility. Knowing that most motors have a start switch, and the motor must turn the pump, which has been a problem on other appliances that I have repaired, I decided to proceed to look at the motor first. With no manual or schematic I proceeded with caution and my future son-in-laws assistance.
Removing a few screws at the back of the appliance allowed us to peek into the cabinet to see that the motor had no belt, but was a direct drive unit. The pump was located in the front of the machine near where your feet would be. Access was impossible from the rear. Wires and wire harness were attached to the back panel like levers and ropes in a sophisticated snare trap, one thing holding two other things in a web. After removing all the "stuff", we still could not remove the external cabinet from the frame, which hopefully would allow us a better view of the pump and motor. As we discovered to more bastard screws holding the outer cabinet on the frame we were able to remove the shell, with just a weeee bit of blood letting. The edges of the sheet metal are very sharp! So the screws were removed and the shell fell off the front like wiggling jello falls to the floor, but with a lot more noise.
Uncovering the misplaced pump allowed us to prove that there were no obstuctions in the pump or lines. The motor switch checked good with the ohm meter, so that directed us to the other control circuit components. One of those components is the lid switch. The switch tested open, when activated. This was a easy replacement after we had field stripped the machine to discover that all the work on the cabinet was unnecessary, the switch could have been replaced through the top around the tub. So having a good manual, could have saved us lots of work. But who needs it when you have all the time in the world, yeh right!