Level of DifficultyEasy
Time to do repairLess than 15 mins
Age of Appliance5 - 10 years
First I turned off power at the service panel. Then, I pulled out the range and tried to remove the access panel. The screw which held the black lead from the incoming power to the range wiring terminal had broken loose from the mounting block. It had welded itself to the panel, so I had to pry it loose. I tried to reattach it to the mounting block, but the block was cracked.
I turned on power at the service panel and used my digital multimeter to test the AC voltage of the receptacle to make sure it fell within the correct limits.
When the new mounting block and power cord arrived, I removed the screw that held the broken mounting block to the back of the range. Then, I used a screwdriver to remove the leads that attached the old power cord to the broken mounting block and range wiring terminals. The screw and nuts which held the old black lead and range wiring terminal to the block were welded together. This was the most difficult part of the repair. I was able to back them off a little bit, but not enough to remove the range wiring terminal. While holding one end of the screw in the pliers, my Dad used the heavy duty cut off wheel on my Dremel tool to cut the screw in half and free the terminal.
Then, we reversed the process to attach the new wiring block to the back of the range, incoming power cord to wiring terminals and range wiring. We plugged it back in and had it working before my dinner party.