Level of DifficultyA Bit Difficult
Time to do repair30 - 60 mins
Age of Appliance5 - 10 years
My husband and I were online pricing new refrigerators ($1100 and up plus an otherwise okay frig to add to the landfill). I had a moment of clarity and tried a parts search and found this site. I decided we were NOT going to replace it, we would fix it.
I pulled out the entire shelf and unscrewed the rail. I manuevered in the new rail and screwed it down. I returned the shelf and now I no longer have the deli drawer drop out of the tracks.
To replace the gasket, the worse part was having to empty the contents of the door and removed all of the 30+ screws that hold it in place. I positioned the gasket over the edge of the door inset, pressed it back up against the door with the gasket in place, lined up the screw holes and started turning the screwdriver. I screwed in the top 2 corners first so they would hold the door inset in place from that point.
The instructions stated that silicon sealant should be applied between the gasket and the door, particularly at the corners, and I did this, particularly since the corner pulling out was why I was replacing the gasket in the first place.
However after I returned all the screws to the proper place and turn the refrigerator back on, I noticed condensation around the seal. I realized after a few days that I had silicon on the gasket itself and this was causing an imperfect seal. I cleaned all the little wisps of silicon off the gasket and the frig has been fine ever since.